[Foundation-l] Fight for Freedom of Geographic Data - how can Wikimedia help?

Jakob Voss jakob.voss at nichtich.de
Sat Feb 18 03:54:47 UTC 2006

Hi,

There is an oportunity - no: necessity - for active lobbying for Free
Knowledge in the European Union. The Proposed European Commission
Directive on European Spatial Data Infrastucture (INSPIRE) is
endangered to put more intellectual property rights on geographica data
in the European union.

See http://publicgeodata.org/WhatIsInspire and
http://space.frot.org/docs/inspire_directive.html

Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia chapters and Wikipedians obvoiously
should be interested in changing the European Directive to free
Geographic Data. In my point of view more than a petition or contacting
members of the parliament is needed (but of course these are basics). We
  need creative ideas of lobbying[1], simple examples why geographic
data needs to be free etc. Wikipedia is known and loved so maybe we
could use it's popularity to advert free geographic data. Last but not
least ideas also have to be implemented - that's the worst problem: in
my experience Wikimedia project's community members are lazy and slow in
doing something that is not *directly* related to their everyday work in
Wikipedia and Wikimedia organisation's community members like me are
busy, busy, busy. Any suggestions? I'm still searching for an occasion
and easy example [2] to convince your grandma, get into the media etc.

The discussion can be held at the public foundation-l mailing list,
can't it?

Greetings,
Jakob

[1] for instance influencing the people at this conference
http://www.direktportalen.com/dynaweb/gavlekongress/index.asp?page=2748&child=2732

[2] I'm sorry but the reasons given at
http://publicgeodata.org/WhySignThePetition and
http://space.frot.org/docs/uninspired.html and
http://space.frot.org/docs/why-free.html anre not very convincing - you
need something that influences Mr. average in his normal life. For
instance show Wikipedia (free, amazing, growing, flexible) and how
navigation systems could be with or won't be without free geographic
data. Well, there should be better examples...