[Foundation-l] Re: Relaunch Chinese Wikinews poll?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Feb 6 00:33:48 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:

> Very true. You will remember the "Mobile Audio Wikipedia"
> project that aims to bring Wikipedia articles (in spoken form)
> to cell phones, for free (with support from governments,
> corporations and foundations). This would be one way to improve
> access for people who don't have access now, and fairly
> uncontroversial. This is something which could be tackled by the
> Special Projects committee, provided it is sufficiently open and
> agile.

I beg to disagree!  Asking money from foundations (money that
could be used to help the poor, or other good purposes) and
feeding this money into cell phone companies (which do nothing for
free) should be *very* controversial.  We built the Internet to
rid us from the evil phone companies, not as a way to feed them.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)