[Foundation-l] Advertisement

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 13:02:05 UTC 2006

On 28/12/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > 5) Could the board please communicate all
> > decisions which are sensitive
> > > among the wikipedians, timely to all relevent
> > mailinglists?
> >
> > I second this request.
> >
> > > 6) Has there ever been an open call to all
> > wikipedians to provide
> > > suggestions to the foundationboard of ways to
> > receive money?
> >
> > Not formally, I think.
> >
> > --
> > Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)
> >

> 5)No, just follow this list.

of course people should look here for this kind of information. I was
requesting that such sensitive agreements should be communicated to
the community (via this list) in a timely fashion. Apologies if this
was unclear: I didn't interpret number 5 as simply sending to all
mailing lists.

> 6)Yes
>
> This is the mailing list you subscribe to to be aware
> of things that affect all Wikimedia communities.  If
> you are part of another mailing list that you think
> would be sensitive to an issue here, you should
> forward the message along to that list.  There is also
> now a summary service on meta which you could point
> people towards.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/LSS/foundation-l-archives
>
> At the beginning of the drive there was an
> announcement on this list of the fund raising drive
> which included many details you seem to have been
> unaware of.  But the general idea of matching donors
> had been discussed here much earlier.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/LSS/foundation-l-archives/2006_12_10-16
> "Brad Patrick announced the opening of the latest
> fundraising"
>

> There have been many messages asking for people to
> help with fundraising.  Announcing the creation of the
> Fundraising Committee and asking interested people to
> sign up (Certainly an open call).  Even more general
> questions asking for fundraising ideas both before and
> after the Committee was started.  Any fundraising
> discussions seemed to be met with questions about the
> audit and budget.  It seems to me that the current
> drive began as soon as the audit was released because
> of a real need of money that has probably been put off
> because the community requested the WMF not take part
> in any overt fundraising until the audit documents
> were released.
>
> Anyone has been subscribed to this list should be
> aware of all this.  Anyone who wishes to be aware of
> these sorts of things should subscribe or read the LSS
> including links.  I think most people who have
> subscribed to list did so because they were blindsided
> by some decision in the past and wanted to make sure
> they stayed informed in the future.  I know I did.  I
> sympathize that you feel blindsided, but it can only
> be up to you to ensure that you are informed of these
> things.
>
> Birgitte SB

I have been subscribed to this list for about a year and read (or
skim) everything which passes through it. There has not, before a
couple of days ago, been an explicit mention of the agreement with
Virgin Unite.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)