[Foundation-l] This is not an Advertisement

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Dec 28 23:41:52 UTC 2006

Jeroenvrp wrote:
> Op donderdag 28 december 2006 21:42, schreef Brion Vibber:
>> JeroenVP for instance has made clear that he does not care about the
>> core values of Wikipedia at all (making knowledge available to the
>> public as free content) but only cares about not ever seeing anything he
>> perceives as an "advertisement".
>
> I assume the above statement is a way to polarise the discussion ever more and
> I will ignore these remarks.

It was meant to be a provocative opening statement, but it appears
accurate based on your actions and words last night and you have not
explained otherwise, so I continue to stand by these words.

>> It's about free/open educational content. It's about making materials
>> open and available for use by the public, including the creation of
>> derivative works and redistribution.
>
> Exactly, but you you miss the point completely Brion. It's advertisement at a
> location where the free content is CREATED, not redistributed/mirrored.
> Actually I don't care about if people make money with Wikipedia content, the
> same applies for Linux distributions, but we are talking about advertisement
> on the location where the content is created. That kills our reliability, so
> far we have that allready.

How? Please explain.

> It's not about business-models, websites, but
> about the source off the free content. Any connection to what kind of
> company, religion, political party, government, whatever... will harm one of
> the basic principles of this great project.

How? Please explain.

>> I do expect some people to leave; that's not because they're bad people.
>> But some people are going to discover, sooner or later, that they've
>> been chasing something *other* than free content, and that Wikipedia
>> isn't really the project for them after all.
>
> Hopefully it will be those people who endanger Wikipedia and such, like
> selling us out and don't have any respect for the community. The community
> who created Wikipedia and such.

Perhaps you missed it, but the foundation came from the community and is
made up of community members.

Perhaps you missed the last six years solid, where there have always
been disagreements within the community and communications problems
between different parts of it.

Me, I noticed. That's probably why I've been screaming for better
organization and communication in this fundraiser debacle.

Communication is the #1 problem facing us. Do you believe the best
response to this is to engage in edit wars?

I don't.

That's probably why I'm posting here instead of dropping the nukes and
blocking edit-warring sysops.

What good would it do other than piss people off?

- -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / brion @ wikimedia.org)