[Foundation-l] New ideas for fundraising needed. Start here!

Teun Spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 19:31:27 UTC 2006

In addition, make a list of all major US and Uk charities and foudations.

make up a list of specific subjects which would appeal to them.

For example, I think it was George Soros who supported his native Hungary
with lots of grants. Perhaps he would be willing to fund an east-europe
server centre and bandwith for a few years, 2007-2009? From our statistics
at http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesRecentTrends.htm#T the sum of the
polish, russian, hungarian and cs wikis are 650Mb + 500Mb + 140Mb + 140Mb =
1,4Gb. Compare that with 1,8Gb for the german wiki, the largets wiki but
one. Not big but substantial nevertheless. Alas, statistics for en: are
absent.

It would cut down the load on our existing servercentra.

No doubt there are similar possibilities for the asian wikis, but we would
need input from them about charities from their continent. So let someone
please post a request for ideas in the chinese and japanese village pumps.

teun