[Foundation-l] Advertisement

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 18:28:16 UTC 2006

On 28/12/06, Teun Spaans <teun.spaans at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder:
> 1) Did the foundation decide themselves to reward virgin unite with this
> banner, or was this a (politely worded request) from virgin unite?

I believe it was necessitated by a contract.

> 2) Have there been any donations by other companies of the same order of
> magnitude?
> 3) If so, wouldnt it be fair if we offer these other companies a banner for
> a day, on our own initiative? I also think of yahoo and kennisnet, who are
> supporting us heavily with servers and bandwidth.

No. If the company does not require that we put their logo at the top
of the page for the donation to be acceptable, we shouldn't. We should
thank the company, but in a less divisive, controvertial way. In a way
that isn't too close to advertising for some users.

> 5) Could the board please communicate all decisions which are sensitive
> among the wikipedians, timely to all relevent mailinglists?

I second this request.

> 6) Has there ever been an open call to all wikipedians to provide
> suggestions to the foundationboard of ways to receive money?

Not formally, I think.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)