[Foundation-l] new site notice now ready

Gatto Nero gattonero at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 09:22:30 UTC 2006

2006/12/28, James Hare <messedrocker at gmail.com>:
> Danny gave a very good speech about this in the Wikimedia IRC channel. He
> said that since we don't do advertising, we are giving up on tens of
> millions of dollars a year. Now that we need money, we have Virgin Unite
> kind enough to offer some really cool matching. Mentioning them in the
> Sitenotice is our way of saying "thank you for being so awesome."

Danny gave a very rethorical speech about this in the Wikimedia IRC
channel. That was the impression of a lot of chatters who don't agree
with the use of a commercial logo.

There is a huge difference between "thank a donor for what it did" and
"put a commercial logo in Wikipedia home-page".
Writing a phrase with "The donations made in this day will be doubled
by Virgin. Thanks to Virgin!" is quite acceptable. Putting a logo
that's linked to a very, very big and spread commercial reality is not
acceptable.

By the way, the way some members of the Board described this deal made
it result as a "ad selling": "you double our donations, we will put a
logo on our projects".
At first, they said there was no deal about the use of the logo; then,
they said WMF and Virgin ther has been a "gentleman agreement".

Boh.