[Foundation-l] new site notice now ready

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 23:31:53 UTC 2006

--- Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:

> Daniel Mayer schreef:
> > Are we certain that their site can handle being slammbed by all the incomming hits?
>
> That is NOP. (Not Our Problem) beside of that; they asked for it.

I would instead be as kind and up front as possible to such a large donor; they expect some sort
of benefit by having their link on all our pages. That benefit disappears if their website crashes
under the load; waking up their website support staff in the middle of the night and causing them
a bit of avoidable embarrassment.

That is, unless all Virgin websites are hosted in the same place and share resources OR we were
very clear to them beforehand of the possible load considerations.

Saying; 'tough, they asked for it' does not seem like the best path to me. And it does become our
problem if we didn't handle this correctly and thus reduce the likihood of them being so generous
in the future.

-- mav