[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sun Dec 24 23:10:54 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote:

>As important as vandal-fighting may be, and as dedicated as some may be
>to that task, it is also useful to avoid a police mentality where the
>innocent are victimized for the sake of catching the miscreants.  One
>needs to accept that some streakers will run around the football field a
>little longer than others.
>
>The strict blocking policy catches too many innocents.  The Earls of
>Efficiency who engage in such tactics look for technical solutions that
>allow them to enforce rules while neglecting mitigating circumstances.
>They make no effort to find out why something happened, and are no
>different from traffic cops who ignore assumptions of good faith to meet
>their quota of tickets.
>
>The block on sight policy needs to stop immediately.  One needs to
>remember that the unintelligible user names are far less of a problem
>than intentionally misleading alternative characters.  I have supported
>SUL ever since the idea was floated at least three years ago, before the
>conversion problems had a chance to multiply.  It does require some
>adjustments of which I am technically ignorant, but I suspect that
>anglo-naval-gazing is more of a problem than what the techies need to do.
>
>Ec

I was trying to think about how all this applies to Wikibooks, where on
at least en.wikibooks such a policy certainly has not been in force, at
least to my knowledge, ever.

Indeed, in terms of permitting users to use non-latin characters in a
user name, this user's account came up:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/User%3A%D0%82%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%92%D0%B5_%D0%94._%D0%91%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%9B

Not only is he "permitted" to be involved in the development of
Wikibooks, he was elected to become an administrator. (There aren't that
many admins on Wikibooks.)

I don't know how many admins on en.wikipedia have non-latin characters
that are like this, but this certainly seems to be an en.wikipedia-only
policy.  I certainly had never even heard about this being done until
this current flamefest started.

--
Robert Scott Horning