[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 18:29:54 UTC 2006

Japanese editors around me is worried when they would be forced to
change their username and thought SUL as the Coming of such Latin-name
age. They worried with sadness to cast away their familiar accounts
which some of them have used for years or cannot choose good
alternation of their current username. For them, introduction of SUL
is equal to application of English Wikipedia naming policy. I would
like to say English Wikipedia community blocked one of foundation wiki
editor permanently only because his account wasn't in Latin and he had
a good history of edits for years. For my eyes the current "fighting
vandalism" on English Wikipedia is beyond the limit of common sense.
Before doing such rude and unthoughtful action, they could have
checked his contributions or user page.

And I would like to say the editor I introduced on the above is not
the first one who was blocked from this reason and forced to change
his username. I know another editor who was blocked permanently and
then was asked to change username. I think it is not a kind
persuasion. I wouldn't like to call their "request" voluntary. They
are not happy and feel treated as second citizens. One of such editors
came to me and said (in Japanese); I am accepting the fact the fact
preferences of English community takes over after all." That is the
result of what English Wikipedia is doing. Result of their
ethnocentric and rudeness.

Shifting to the general issue, As Gerald said, I am afraid "changing
user name with latin literation" is not a good idea from two reasons -
1) if they want, they would have done so already; Commons folks may
know Searobin, a Commons admin; his account on Japanese project has no
Latin character part. If they don't now, it could mean they don't like
so - most of them prefer to keep consistency of username on several
projects. And generally forcing someone to change their username in
that reason is not good. If we are going to recommend a modified
signature, it is fine for me and perhaps for others. 2) We have no
reason all Wikimedia editor know Latin-character. It would not make a
sense to have a username consisting in two parts, but nothing of them
cannot read for the editors. Latin-script using people may think that
too theoretical, but it could happen. Specially for young people in
non-Latin script language world, or rather illiterate folks. I am
afraid from this reason your idea is still Latin-character-centric.

I would like to point out the English Wikipedia rejected my proposal
for asking those people to render such combined signature. I thought
it a compromise but they didn't. So I am afraid, Neil,  you are better
first to go to them and persuade them to think compromise and
improvement. Now they are driving other communities even to folking.
It would be bad and disrespectful if we persuade non-Latin script
account editor to change their signature and after they follow, again
go to them and say "sorry, it couldn't be a comparison. You should
alter your username or just go away".

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * Nessuna poesia prima di noi *