[Foundation-l] Throwing some data onto the flamefest fire (was: English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities)

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 09:50:31 UTC 2006

Hoi,
You have not being paying attention. It has been indicated that
compulsory transliteration is culturally not acceptable for many people.
Also the suggestion that there has been no serious discussion up to now
makes things worse. It has been indicated by people who are seriously
involved in the Wikimedia Foundation that the reluctance, even denial
how serious this issue is perceived from outside the English language
Wikipedia is such that big words have been used to describe this
outrage. This project has already lost a lot of face. The reversal by
Gregory made inadvertently make Aphaia loose face.

 From my perspective, the POV of the English language Wikipedia is
seriously out of kilter and the room for "serious discussion" is
diminishing. I do not get the impression that the arguments are heard /
understood / taken seriously. I can envision that this will be an issue
for the board. It is not necessarily something where the English
language Wikipedia community should have it their own way.

Thanks,
    GerardM