[Foundation-l] To all non latin wikis please start blocking latin wiki accounts

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 22:51:49 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, Walter van Kalken <walter at vankalken.net> wrote:
[snip]
> Maybe this way they will understand on en: that there action is
> extremely biased and very very bad as they seem to insist to keep
> blocking good users like admins from other wiki's simply because people
> want to use their REAL NAME.

Ah, perhaps you could help us and point out all the real names which
enwiki has blocked.
The complete list of blocked names with non-ascii characters is
available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gmaxwell/nonalphausers/blocked

I am strongly opposed to blocking people who are using their real
name, and I've argued this in multiple places on the wiki.. But as far
as I can tell such block are not a frequent occurrence compared to the
number of blocks of 'cute' or vandal names.

Instead of blocking users which names which are difficult for people
people who speak other languages, I think we should accommodate them
and improve our software to help us deal with them. ... but that we
should still block names which are difficult to recognize and
difficult to type for all people... and continue to discourage locally
difficult names until the software has been improved.