[Foundation-l] To all non latin wikis please start blocking latin wiki accounts

Walter van Kalken walter at vankalken.net
Fri Dec 22 22:48:41 UTC 2006

I would agree that (automatic or not) transliteration on someone's*
userpage, *so people would approximately know how to pronounce someone's
name* *would be a good idea yes. Even though it would be difficult. It
is better to have something half-working than nothing in this case.

I find the given arguments for blocking extremely weak. As Andre Engels
has said about xxth times in these threads just check someone's edits on
en: and on other wiki's. Someone should be blocked based on that (or not
blocked) not on a name (whether incomprehensible or not). And people
should wake up. With globalisation people will see more and more signs
and languages they cannot comprehend entering their own neighbourhoods
whether they like it or not.

I am seeing firsthand how more and more latin and japanese scripts based
signage influences the Thai community were I life.

I do believe most of these reactions in en: are based on dormant
xenophebia, prejudice and discrimination that in my experience is inside
everybody, also myself as I sometimes note afterwards, even though I try
to classify people in just 3 groups. People I like, people I do not like
and people I do not know what to make off.

Waerth