[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 15:35:59 UTC 2006

The en.WP Username policy has been changed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Username&curid=168684&diff=95920637&oldid=95900078

I would encourage everyone to continue to work on
ideas to help with vandal-fighting.  With SUL, I think
there will be even stronger benefits to collabortaion
across wikis on these issues.  One important issue
would be finding a way to share information on these
sleeper accounts who turnout to be blatant vandals
since all blocks will be local only.  There is always
the possibilty one might careless show himself to be a
vandal on one wiki while still gathering posistive
edits on others.  Currently there is no way to
distinguish why a person was blocked outside of being
to read block summaries which has serious limitations.

Birgitte SB