[Foundation-l] Automatic username transliteration for SUL

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 14:56:27 UTC 2006

On 22/12/06, Christophe Millet <kipmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Copy and paste doesn't work on Internet Explorer, or on
> these browsers where all you see is "?" or an empty box.
> It works with firefox, where what you see is a box, and in it
> is the Unicode number of the character (or some other number),
> so that different unknown characters do look different to me.

My example was trying to write:

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/UnNews:Supreme_Court_declares_global_warming_unconstitutional

The Unicode gibberish the hurricane was named after is one
contributor's username. Bits of it worked and bits of it didn't ...
very annoying.

Copying and pasting from the displayed page to a text edit box on
Ubuntu Linux works (because Ubuntu's Unicode support and font support
is very good); copying and pasting from the displayed page to a text
edit box on Windows XP doesn't work reliably.

In Firefox, copying and pasting the characters rendered "????"
*sometimes* works.

But then, we're being told that with SUL, Windows XP will be
considered a deprecated platform unless the user knows how to install
fonts by hand. So that's all right then.

- d.