[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Thu Dec 21 23:57:36 UTC 2006

Hi,

This is also a reply to David Gerard.

George Herbert wrote:
> On 12/21/06, Yann Forget <yann at forget-me.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>In your options below, you forgot the main argument GerardM has
>>expressed in this thread: that the problem faced by the English
>>Wikipedia upto now will nearly disappear *because* of SUL.
>
> SUL does not make the problem go away.  Nobody has posted any explanation of
> how it would.

Yes, one big part of the  problem goes away: that to find out if the user
is a vandal or a known user on some other wikis.
If I understand GerardM's explanations correctly, it will be possible to
easily find out on which wikis this user has edits, so you will know if
it is a new account or not.

Beside that, don't you think that the English Wikipedia is not the only
wikis in which most of the users can't understand non Latin scripts?

Actually as the English Wikipedia is much more international than other
languages wikis, it is propably the opposite, i.e. there are many
editors on the English Wikipedia whose mother tongue is not English,
compared to other European languages where there are very few editors
whose mother tongue is the language of the wiki.

But yet no other Wikipedia has created or applied such a policy.

Regards,

Yann

--
http://www.non-violence.org/ | Site collaboratif sur la non-violence