[Foundation-l] Translations fundraising.wikimedia.org

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 20:38:45 UTC 2006

Never, since in some languages there is *no* sole counterpart. For
example, fundraising is just such a word in Japanese. There is no
custom in Japanese society so you need to know how it functions in a
society to find an appropriate expression and concise enough fit to
the sitenotice, for example.

On 12/22/06, Sam Korn <smoddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/21/06, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> > /* in a soft voice */
> > Oh, one of translation coordinators work is discouragement young
> > aspirant people who can help translation because he got a dictionary.
> > Sometimes their translation is worse than machine's. You don't know
> > probably because they are simply speedied. (And if you are not
> > Wikimedian, you may not know what means "speedied" exactly - you know
> > the word and its context, speedy deletion on a wiki by a sysop, not
> > merely blanking etc,  so you needn't a dictionary here). There are so
> > bad translation that no other translation can make a good work on that
> > basis and simply need to ignore. I daresay if you need always a
> > dictionary to read something, you are not ready to translate it. Just
> > Danny said, you need to have a competence in both languages. "Ask a
> > dictionary and it's okay" causes disasters so I friendly ask them to
>
> But...
>
> when it's only one-word phrases (such as "fundraising", "navigation"),
> that is quite possible to do with a dictionary.
>
> --
> Sam, who doesn't have experience translating on Wikimedia projects,
> but who has done plenty of translation in his time

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * Nessuna poesia prima di noi *