[Foundation-l] Translations fundraising.wikimedia.org

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 22:31:23 UTC 2006

habj schreef:
> 2006/12/18, Brad Patrick <bradp.wmf at gmail.com>:
>
>> Most of it
>> should be possible to translate with merely a dictionary.
>>

> I must warn against this attitude. Hardly anything can be translated
> with merely a dictionary, lacking context. If one tries, one ends up
> with a certain percentage of errors which sometimes just look a little
> funny and sometimes look very bad.
>
> /habj
Hoi,
Translation with the knowledge of only a dictionary gets you a
translation that is probably not as good as a machine translation. For
material that needs to be just so and this is true for the whole of
marketing / advertisement it PAYS to have proper translations. It even
PAYS to have it done by a professional translator because it is pennies
to the pound. When you have the connections with translators you can
even get these translations for a very reduced rate. It needs however a
proper understanding and approach. I am sure you do not want to have a
translation into English for a message like this on the English language
projects !!

I have been told that a quality translation improves the reach of your
communication by at least 15%.

Thanks,
    GerardM