[Foundation-l] Removal of Banning Notices/Cherokee Wikipedia

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Dec 20 20:45:33 UTC 2006

Mr. Wales has removed the ban notices from the English Wikipedia
pertaining to me.  Based upon past issues with editing there, I have
given Mr. Wales my promise to avoid the English Wikipedia entirely since
my editing style has not been productive or worked out well with others
on the English Wikipedia due to distant past attempts to have my
article, Jeffrey Vernon Merkey, removed from Wikipedia entirely.  I have
gotten very confortable with the fine manner in which Mr. Wales and the
Foundation have handled such a sensitive topic and this controversial
article about me, and it's simply better for me to stay away from the
English Wikipedia since I AM CONTROVERSIAL and MY ARTICLE IS
CONTROVERSIAL.  It's just better to not risk the temptation that all of
us seem to experience when articles are written about us on Wikipedia.
Its better to stay away entirely to allow the processes of Wikipedia to
function the way they were intended.  My presence on the English
Wikipedia could only exacerbate this old situation surrounding the
article.  So I voluntarily choose to avoid the English Wikipedia for
these reasons.    If and when I become non-notable enough to not have an
article on Wikipedia, I will revisit the situation with Mr. Wales and
the Foundation pertaining to the English Wikipedia.  For the immediate
future and the present, ni-go-di-s-ge-s-di (that's just the way it is).

However, I have and continue to edit on the Cherokee Wikipedia and have
a large body of content in Creek, Chicksaw, Dine, Cherokee, and other
Native Languages I plan to contribute back to the Native American
Wikipedia's over time.    There are no bans on my contributions in these
areas.  Although Mr. Wales has removed the ban, I wish to avoid any
future problems editing the English Wikipedia and make the best effort I
can to heal old wounds and put the past where it belongs -- in the past.

I also would like to start posting featured articles on the Cherokee
Wikipedia, and in time, the other Native American Wikipedia sites as
well. I formally request consideration by the Wikipedia Community for
admin status on the Cherokee Wikipedia to fully Cherokee Language enable
it and start posting articles in our language and really get the site up
to the same level as the English Wikipedia.  Since I have voluntarily
elected to avoid the English Wikipedia site, and since I am the only
active Native Speaking editor on the Cherokee Wikipedia, asking for
admin status there would only result in me voting for myself, since
there is no one else.

I therefore submit this request via the foundation mailing list for
consideration.  Your consideration would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jeff V. Merkey