[Foundation-l] Oversight rights

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 12:04:14 UTC 2006

> On 20/12/06, Jon Harald Søby <jhsoby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Possibly. [[:en:Wikipedia:Oversight]] is the page that explains how to
> request oversighting.
>
> Note that oversighting is only for material so sensitive that not even
> admins on the wiki should be allowed to see it. We have over a
> thousand admins on en:, so are at a stage where we need this. It's not
> for vandalism, copyright violations, etc. - only for material that
> could be personally dangerous to someone.
>
> The en: oversighters already say "no" to a lot of requests from people
> who want to remove their own silly past edits from the record, admins
> who don't want to hand-check lots of boxes to delete one bad revision,
> etc.

Yes, the guidelines for what to oversight seem pretty clear-cut, and
there shouldn't be any problems regarding that. The problems, as I see
it, is to whom, and under which circumstances, oversight should be
given.

> I suspect most wikis won't actually *need* oversight as yet - en:wp
> gets maybe one or two actionable requests a day.

Other wikis may still need it, but not the the extent that they need
oversight users, and that's where the (proposed) mailing list and
stewards come in.

--
Best regards,
Jon Harald Søby