[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 11:13:18 UTC 2006

On 12/20/06, Jon Harald Søby <jhsoby at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can understand the rationale for this policy, but it _is_
> ethnocentric, and it counters the problem from the wrong side, if you
> know what I mean. Instead of trying to fix the problem, they try to
> remove it.

I think it's horribly rude for the other admins on en: to be blocking
people for using non-Latin characters in their username. A more polite
approach would be to ask them to add a transliteration to their
signature, that would satisfy many people.

The problem is fairly simple, people who speak only English don't
bother installing language support on their computers, even though
(AFAIK) it is included with all operating systems these days. All they
need to do is get their installation CD out and turn it on.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com