[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 08:45:50 UTC 2006

On 20/12/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> What Aphaia means is that people have asked to change their Japanese
> name because of the insistence of the English project that people have a
> Latin name. With the long hoped for single login this policy of the
> English Wikipedia HAS to go the way of the dinosaur. It is unfortunate
> that this policy is still active.

Ah, got it. In that case, Aphaia may care to post to wikien-l or to
the various anti-vandalism pages on en:wp where the policy is
implemented ... not to a list which very few en:wp editors actually
read, as I believe was pointed out to her last time this came up.

That is: actually make a slight effort to convince the people involved
by consensus, rather than appearing to demand top-down imposition of a
new policy on a wiki by the Foundation. That trick is somewhat less
likely to work.

- d.