[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 08:23:07 UTC 2006

David Gerard schreef:
> On 20/12/06, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I repeat again the English Wikipedia community should reconsider how
>> shameful and discriptive policy they has about users' identity and
>> respect of cultural diversity, and how badly it affects other
>> communities. I am very sorry to see such a request fullfiled to our
>> request page.
>>

> Er, what on earth? You mean, that en:wp allowing name changes is
> "shameful"? Please believe me when I say that this statement of yours
> makes no sense in English.
>
> It is entirely unclear why what you are describing is a problem with
> en:wp rather than a problem with this individual user.
>
> It is also not clear what word you meant by "discriptive."
>

> - d

Hoi,
What Aphaia means is that people have asked to change their Japanese
name because of the insistence of the English project that people have a
Latin name. With the long hoped for single login this policy of the
English Wikipedia HAS to go the way of the dinosaur. It is unfortunate
that this policy is still active.
Thanks,
    GerardM