[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Wikimedia Foundation's help to the projects

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Dec 20 01:13:29 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Aside from the potential issues with the WMF "officially" giving such
>advice to the communities, Brad (our GC and ED) simply doesn't have
>the time to do this.

Nod.

>Let's brainstorm about how we can get juriwiki-l
>going, i.e. a functioning, community-driven group of advisors with
>demonstrable legal expertise.

Given the history of how threads tend to wander into nothingness, most
issues end up rolling back down the hill like Sisypus' boulder.

>At the moment juriwiki-l is configured so that postings from the
>outside are moderated and replied to by a group of insiders. Is there
>any real issue, from a legal point of view, with making it a public
>mailing list? This is perhaps something Brad can answer.

There are both good and bad reasons for a public or private list.  I
can't see any of our lawyer types (Brad included) putting themselves in
a position where their legal observations can be used against them.
Public perception is often very different from what a person actually
says.  This is especially problematical where people expect answers even
when answers don't exist.

We really need to promote an attitude of critical thinking in a game
theoretical model.  It might even take a whole new wiki, but I'm not
sure of that.  The state of the law is questionable when any kind of
solution really depends on a sophisticated analysis that depends on the
efforts of professionals at a cost far in excess of the amounts being
discussed.

Maybe we need to be writing our own law.  Free the law!

Ec