[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Wikimedia Foundation's help to the projects

Nojhan nojhan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 13:33:12 UTC 2006

Le Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:36:15 +0100, Erik Moeller a écrit:
> At the moment juriwiki-l is configured so that postings from the
> outside are moderated and replied to by a group of insiders. Is there
> any real issue, from a legal point of view, with making it a public
> mailing list? This is perhaps something Brad can answer.

This would be a good idea, imho.

There is a true need for simple ''informations'' about legal ''advices''.
Peoples does not ask WMF for represent them in a lawsuit nor to give
official "howto", but just to have a good idea of what they can do or not,
say or not, hope or not, and at which degree, with which confidence.
I agree with Birgitte SB on this point.

If all the WMF can do is a page explaining how difficult it is to have
clear legal statements, this is just fine, because we have ''explained''
something. What bothers me is when a contributor is just asking for
advices and that all we can answer to its questions is "wangle it yourself".

Let me be clear, I'm not talking about advices on how to prosecute someone
for improper copyright statement, but advices on how to convince someone
to allow free distribution of its work. For such negociations, having some
idea of legal issues and of what the WMF allow for its projects, can be
usefull.

--
Nojhan