[Foundation-l] when uploading pictures to commons ....

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 13:26:43 UTC 2006

On 19/12/06, Walter van Kalken <walter at vankalken.net> wrote:
> That is not the point.
>
> IS there nobody here who understands that we make this project for all
> the people out there! Not to satisfy our own geekly lust to pursue the
> latest fashion in computerelectronics and programming.

I am not in favour of bleeding edge technology for its own sake, but
the reason this file is so large is because of the detail in it. I
don't see how that can be reduced without reducing quality.

There are links on that page to a PNG and a simpler SVG. These are
ways to make it accessible for all without sacrificing quality.

> Do we really need to be the trendsetter like with .svg??????

OK, my point is that as far as I can tell, we are not doing anything
trendsetting with this image that is causing it to be huge and
complex. It is just intricately detailed. I presume that has a
Featured Picture, it has had a number of people looking at it and has
been checked to have valid SVG code (actually I am not sure this is a
criterion... I will go suggest it now).

> You are talking about being better supported in a couple of years
> Briana. Ask yourself the question do you want people to be able to use
> this graphics *NOW *or in a couple of years?

I want them to be able to use it now and then, but I don't want us to
be kicking ourselves for insisting on inferior quality in the future
when it becomes a non-issue.

cheers,
Brianna