[Foundation-l] Non-commercial images

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Dec 15 13:16:24 UTC 2006

On 12/15/06, luke brandt <shojokid at gmail.com> wrote:
> From what I understand (but please someone correct me if I misunderstood
> the reports) the Wikimedia Board didn't vote last time these matters
> were raised because it prefers to allow autonomy.

On issues such as whether we should allow NC images I, as member of
the current Board, definitely don't think there should be any project
level autonomy at all. If we want to keep our content compatible
across languages and projects, we need to apply a consistent standard
of freedom.

I think this will have to be discussed with the current Board.
Unfortunately we're very taken up by fundraising preparations and
other critical planning issues at the moment; I do hope to bring it up
at the next face-to-face meeting in Janaury.

At this time, I would strongly, strongly ask anyone advocating the use
of NC content in a project to reconsider. It would hurt Wikikimedia
tremendously.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik