[Foundation-l] Mozart's works released

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 17:10:38 UTC 2006

On 12/14/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> these people
> deserve recognition and reward for making this available, but on the
> other they put these illegal and immoral usage restrictions on it.

Just to interject a contrasting view here:

What they have released are modern editions.
These are not the Mozart manuscripts.
These differ in material ways from the manuscripts.

You may not agree that the changes are deserving of a new copyright,
but that they are appears to be reasonably well established and
accepted. So if you're going to rant about immoral activities, don't
single out these people... it's a practice of the entire sheet music
industry at least these people are allowing more liberal availability
of the scores.

If you'd like, I can upload some Mozart manuscript images to commons
tonight. They are difficult to read and, until we have lilypond
support in wikisource, I don't see them as being especially useful.

At least Mozart manuscripts are available and we can make our own
transcriptions (well, once we have lilypond support...). There are
other composers where all the possibly PD copies have been lost or
locked away.