[Foundation-l] Mozart's works released

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 16:51:54 UTC 2006

--- Pat Gunn <pgunn at dachte.org> wrote:

> A thought:
> If it is freely licensed, to what extent should the
> foundation
> consider republishing its content on WMF projects?
> Should WM
> avoid possibly stepping on the toes of other
> projects, avoiding
> duplicating any free conttent they make, or should
> it try to
> collect everything (and possibly give prominent
> credit) that falls
> under its mission? The general question may apply to
> other groups
> like Project Gutenberg's works.

I think you underestimate the superiority of our
format when suggesting we are merely duplicating the
work of others.   Wiki's are truly powerful and
capable of really surpassing what is currently being
done by others.

I definately like the idea of acknowledging works
based of the work of other projects.  Currently at
Wikisource, Project Gutenburg is usually linked as the
source on the Talk page when it is the source.  The
same is generally true of any source for the text.  In
some cases links are given to places that have scans
online especially as they go through proofreading.  I
would like to see a way of  acknowledging Librox.org
when we attach audio files from there.  Maybe we could
use a different "speaker symbol" in those cases.
However I don't want to have a distracting meta-data
attached to the text off of the talk page.

Birgitte SB