[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation's help to the projects

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 06:54:11 UTC 2006

email seems not to have gone through...

resend

Yann Forget wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I think that there are several areas where the projects would benefit
 > from a more proactive help from the Foundation. I will speak about
two here:

 > 1. Legal counselling.
 >
 > Some projects (mainly Commons and Wikisource) need more input about
 > copyright issues from knowledgeable persons. I have asked twice to
 > juriwiki-l specific issues for Wikisource without receiving an answer,
 > even an acknowledgement that my request was received. Another concrete
 > example: Commons and Wikisource would benefit most from a cross table
 > about copyright rules, which countries use "most favourable rule apply",
 > etc.

For various reasons, which are controversial, some consider the
Foundation should not give such advice. As such, your requests will
probably not meet answers.

 > 2. Helping small projects. It seems that some projects have a difficult
 > start. Indian languages projects are my first examples. I will go to
 > India in January, and I would like to use this opportunity to recruit
 > new contributors. The Foundation could help coordinate this kind of
 > recruitement.

Why not. Practically speaking, how do you think the Foundation could
help ? What do you mean by "coordination" here ? Example of things we
could do ?

Ant