[Foundation-l] Welcome to our three new board members

Brad Patrick bradp.wmf at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 16:52:26 UTC 2006

As will be made clear from the revisions to the Foundation Bylaws and
the Board Expansion resolution adopted by the Board, your position is
overstated.  Your call did not fall on 'deaf ears' - far from it.  You
were heard.

The Board will be composed of a majority of individuals from the
community.  That does not require election of all board members, as you
would prefer, only some.  Given the fiduciary responsibility required of
all board members and the need for diverse talents, it is logical and
effective to appoint some persons and not rely on an open election
process for each position.

Also, Board positions have terms now.  They are not indefinite, as
Michael Davis, Tim Shell, and Jimmy Wales were in the past.  All will be
subject to reappointment at the conclusion of their term, unless they
resign earlier.

The Board will also be expanded in size.  At this time, the number is
now 7, up from 5.  It will increase further in the next year, probably to 9.

Your "principle" - that a "financial supporter" of the Foundation is
ineligible for board service - would seem to exclude a
disproportionately large number of very good people, including those who
may consider running for election.  It is also a rather short-sighted
view in light of the amounts of money at issue to support of the
Foundation (which include my paycheck and yours) to insist on a board
composed of elected individuals with no guarantee of any particular
business acumen.  Experience shows it may be rather difficult to recruit
business folks to stand for election, rather than appoint them to
fulfill a need at the board level.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, your desired direct election of
all board members exposes the danger of pure democratic rule - tyranny
of the majority.  It is possible, however remotely, that elections could
be hijacked by elements external to the Foundation's best interests.
Appointment through the election process rather than election as of
right prevents this from happening.

Each of these points was debated extensively by the Board during its
last two face-to-face meetings in October and December.  I am proud of
our Board, and for the deep consideration they have given to these
governance issues.

Brad Patrick