[Foundation-l] Non-commercial images

Peter van Londen londenp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 22:07:56 UTC 2006

Dear all,

My first post on this list.

We have once again a debate on the dutch wikipedia about licenses of
images.
This one particular is non-commercial. The debate is about if images that
can only be used non-commercially are compatible with the GFDL-license of
the wikipedia.

Based on this post about Resolutions about images from Anthere (8/16/06)
http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-August/009230.html in
which is stated that
1) Non commercial and non-derivative: resolution dropped: to be expected,
recommendations publiced by blogs from Jimbo
2) Fair use to be forbidden for use in Wikipedia: resolution dropped,
because there was no vote.

Question 1: Jimbo will you make recommendations on the NCND-subject as was
mentioned?

Based on this answer from Eloquence/Erik Moeller:
http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-August/009231.html.
Erik disagreed.

Question 2: Erik will you bring this issue up in a board meeting, now you
are part of the board?

In my opinion licenses of images should be compatible with the license of
the Wikipedia. But there is some doubt...

Question 3: Is it possible that you can license the text with GFDL and
license the accompanying images with non-free-enough licenses at the same
time.

I think this is an issue that should be decided by the board, as this is an
issue for all wikimedia-projects.

Kind regards
Londenp