[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 14:43:36 UTC 2006

--- Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Matt R <matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'll bear it in mind. One potential product of
> > WikiChix that I would like to
> > read is a list of suggestions as to how WikiBlokes
> > can act, or not act, in
> > order to make Wikipedia more female-friendly.
>
> Here is maybe a misunderstanding.  I can not tell you
> how should act differently.  I cannot even articulate
> why my sister would *never* participate on-wiki.  I
> instrinsically know she would not.  I can't say why.
> Honestly I have not given it much thought before.
> However I am not going to discuss my half-formed ideas
> on a taboo subject with people who are dismissive of
> the idea that such discussion is even worthwhile.
> With people who doubt that there is actually an issue
> at all about women not participating.

There's probably a little misunderstanding. I don't think it's necessary that
such a list of suggestions must be hammered out on wikien-l or foundation-l.
>From what you've said, it seems it would be best created on a deliberately
female-friendly list or wiki. I was just putting forward a suggestion, from a
male view point, as to one thing WikiChix could do that might help improve
things: some sort of  "HOWTO Encourage Women in Wikis" (or a better title)
document, comparable to

  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/index.html

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto