[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Gatto Nero gattonero at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 08:56:13 UTC 2006

2006/12/5, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
> Hoi,
> Women have, like men, the ability to contribute. The way they contribute
> is not necessarily the same. When you read the motivation for the
> mailing list, you would have read that there is a group of women who
> feel ill at ease and as a consequence refrain from contributing to our
> projects. The fact that so many men are sceptical about this, shows
> either that they have not read the motivation, do not believe the
> motivation but what it does not prove at all is that they are right.

I've a problem understanding the way this thread is going on, but it
could be 'cause of my english.
Where are - on this list, of course - all these men sceptical about this issue?
Personally, I'm not. I'm aware that people made jokes that often are
not jokes, that are offensive. Believe me, I prooved that on my skin.
What I've seen on this ML, it's a lot of people sceptical about *the
ML*, or better: *about how this Wikichicks-l is gonna solve the
problem*. I repeat my POV: self-segregation is not a way to solve
anything. Speaking and discussing and confronting is a way to solve
the problem. If this discussion is going to transform itself in a
topic about "every bias and wikipedia", then ok, it's gonna be
interesting. If this discussion is going to remain about Wikichicks-l
(and really, I can't get how this name has been choosen: is it not
offensive for women?), then there will be a lot of people  opposing.
But don't mix this issues, please.

Secondary, I have to say that I understand what is said by Angela,
Anthere and the other women here, but I - as other contributors in
this thread - come from an italian community where women are really
strong, have power and a lot of respect/credit (as soon as I know).
One of them - Frieda - it's been involved in it.wikipedia quite from
the beginning, and it's now President of WMI. Why I'm saying this?
'cause there are positive example too. We have to work a lot for
people to respect each other (in a lot of different ways), but we can
do it. What we cannot do is to work about this issue "in secret", in a
place it's not public, in a place meaned only for women/gay/black
people/etc.

Claudio