[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 5 07:01:40 UTC 2006

rfrangi at libero.it wrote:

>[snip]
>

>> From the day I heard Angela was on the board because she had big boobs
>>

>[snip]
>
>Huh!?! Really? Where does she hide 'em?
>
>But seriously,

You think trying to make a joke excuses comments like that? I hope that
Angela has developed a thick skin (in the figurative sense, not the
literal physical one) from her experiences, but she shouldn't have to be
subjected to this. It's exactly these sorts of comments, yes these sorts
of "jokes", that create what is known as a hostile work environment and
can lead to sexual harassment lawsuits.

I've expressed concern before about the gender disparities in our
community, and wondered about their causes. I had hoped that since
gender is not always apparent online, the problem was largely
inadvertent and that much of it could be addressed in a positive fashion
by simply continuing to encourage women to participate. But between the
things Anthere relates and this kind of response to them, I am appalled.

--Michael Snow