[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 20:24:44 UTC 2006

Hm. I never put too much thought into this, before. I've always figured it's
hard to be sexist when all we really get is somebody's username, but that's
got more to do with overt and intentional sexism, and I don't think that's
the sort of issue that people have in mind, here. Well, maybe it is, but the
more interesting issue to me is what I've seen a few people refer to as the
"locker room mentality." I might prefer to use a group of "The Guys" down at
the local sports bar. The topics and methods of conversation, and the social
norms, just aren't as accessible to some people. I have to admit I'm one of
them, sometimes. If that's costing us potentially valuable members of the
community, then it's a damned shame.

Since my username is a bit ambiguous, in terms of gender, it's interesting
to see which people assume I'm male or female. But I rarely see much in
terms of special or adverse treatment as a result, that I can recognize. The
trolls I run into do skip to a different chapter in their little pocket
thesaurus, but that seems to be pretty much it. So I do think the *general
atmosphere* is more what people are getting at. In a community so
numerically dominated by men, it can be difficult to address or even really
recognize that sort of issue.

Personally, I would prefer that WikiChix be open to men who happen to be
interested. But being outside of the community, I'm not in any position to
demand that.

I'm a bit bewildered by all of this, and I'm not sure what will be
accomplished, but all the same, I hope it does well. I enjoy having good
people around.

On a somewhat related note, will WikiChix be needing any help with
templates, help desk and {{helpme}} staff, development of a community
portal, conflict mediation, and possibly counter-vandalism? Or should such
discussion and offers be moved to their respective mailing list?

-Luna