[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 20:11:07 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Honestly the
> way a woman can contribute in places like this by
> overlooking all the subtle sexism.  By ignoring it and
> pretending it is not about her.
[snip]

If, at some point in the future, we were all able to sit by and fail
to notice a sexist comment flow by our screens because it is so
foreign to us that it lacks all meaning.. then I think this would be a
grand day indeed because it would signify the true death to sexism.

Bigotry doesn't die when we simply avoid using bad words or statements
because we know they are unacceptable, it dies when those bad words
fail to make the slightest sense to us.

[snip]
> If anyone who attended the Board Q & A at Wikimania and can still think it is not a serious
> problem after witnessing the entire room laugh at dismissive comment which nearly brought > me to my feet in outrage
[snip]

It has been some months, and in that time I have forgotten many
important things. So please do not consider my lack of memory of this
comment as evidence of my opinion on the importance of the comment.  I
simply do not remember what you are talking about, could you please
refresh my memory and aid all who were not there?