[Foundation-l] Montenegrin request for new language wikipedia

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 00:55:40 UTC 2006

On 12/3/06, Darko Bulatovic <mail at itam.ws> wrote:
> No but in last draft it was stated:
>
>     C(lan 15(Jezik i pismo)- U Crnoj Gori u slu`benoj upotrebi je
> crnogorski jezik.
>     15. Language - In montenegro in official usage is Montenegrin language.

And yet the country is able to function without that. It would be very
hard for the UK to function with german as the official langauge,

> And I am putting forward the position that I have right to call my
> language as I think,

But no one else has to accept that name

> and that you have same right for yours.

If I tried to rename my language to yorkshirese I think you would ignore that.

>And if I
> say that you don't have right to tell me that I call it with wrong name
> and that you are using the wrong name.... To where this leads? To
> separation? Divorce? No love? No happiness? No kids(any good)?
>
> At least please respect right of people to call their language as they
> think it is appropriate.

English has a somwhat limited history of careing about what the locals
call their language ( just ask the germans)

> I sad that this matter affect half of million. In that number are
> included speakers and listeners.

Considering the demographics on montenegro that is somewhat unlikely.
If Montenegrin does exist as a seperate language most likely it is
only spoken in that form in the centre of Montenegro

> And when new constitution comes this
> number will be greatly different in both speakers and listeners.

That would only be posible if does not exist other than as a renameing
of a form of Serbo-Croatian. Addopting a new constitution is unlikely
to result in much of a linguistic shift in the population

--
geni