[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 11:31:03 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> geni schreef:
> > On 12/22/06, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> What functionality is impaired by not being able to read the username,
> >> given that MediaWiki makes all these things clickable?
> >>

> > The ability to remeber who the heck someone was. I can remeber Kasuga.
> > I can't remeber こきりこ.
> >
> > If I'm dealing with a problem user who I can't neutralise on sight it
> > is helpful if can remember who they are
> Hoi,
> How many users are working at any one time at en.wikipedia? And you can
> remember the vandals by name

Problem users who I can't neutralise on sight are not vandles have you
even bothered to read en's policies in these areas.

> And for all the ????? you only have to have to install the appropriate
> fonts ..

No. Long standin policy is that we make the mininum posible software
and hardware requirements.

>You are talking about self inflicting damage that you roll over
> on people that have earned respect.

So logicaly by this standard We should stop worring about how images
in articles appear in low res monitors. I think not.

>From the point of good faith, it is
> hardly that.

I'm not makeing any assumptions at all.
--