[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 08:43:31 UTC 2006

geni schreef:
> On 12/22/06, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What functionality is impaired by not being able to read the username,
>> given that MediaWiki makes all these things clickable?
>>

> The ability to remeber who the heck someone was. I can remeber Kasuga.
> I can't remeber こきりこ.
>
> If I'm dealing with a problem user who I can't neutralise on sight it
> is helpful if can remember who they are
Hoi,
How many users are working at any one time at en.wikipedia? And you can
remember the vandals by name .. I am impressed .. but somehow I doubt
it. I think you use the history views of the contributions of that user,
the talk pages of that user and for that you do not even have to know
what the user name is.

And for all the ????? you only have to have to install the appropriate
fonts .. You are talking about self inflicting damage that you roll over
on people that have earned respect. From the point of good faith, it is
hardly that.

Thanks,
GerardM