[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 11:58:08 UTC 2006

--- Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why the aggressive resistance against an additional resource for
> women? Why is the idea so threatening?...how is an additional channel
> segregational?

Um, well, for me and at least some other posters, the only problem with
WikiChix is that the additional channel *is* segregational -- female-only.
Other than that, I support it entirely.

> Credit where credit's due: thanks for your considered and thoughtful
> Snow, and Tim Starling.

So these all the people that agreed with you? And, by thinly-veiled
implication, any other response was ill-considered and unthoughtful?

> help call attention to and discourage sexist attitudes
> and assumptions expressed in Wikimedia wherever you find them. If you
> find yourself hesitating to reply publicly because you don't want to
> "feed the trolls", consider sending the author a private reply. We can
> use peer pressure to let "bad apples" know that their attitudes are
> not shared or welcome. But also consider what message will be
> understood by list lurkers, by not replying at all.

I'll bear it in mind. One potential product of WikiChix that I would like to
read is a list of suggestions as to how WikiBlokes can act, or not act, in
order to make Wikipedia more female-friendly.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com