[Foundation-l] Adult and Illegal content on Wikimedia projects

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Thu Apr 6 02:58:05 UTC 2006

I'm trying to get the sense of the Wikimedia community here on a
potentially explosive topic.

I started a thread on the Staff Lounge at Wikibooks over what to do with
content that openly advocates breaking laws.  The goal I had was to help
come up with some wording that we could add to existing policies that
would prohibit this sort of content from being added to Wikibooks.

It has since devolved into general adult-level content including
pornography and if it should or should not be permitted and what sorts
of policies should be set for handling this sort of content.  Generally
pornography is not a problem at all on Wikibooks, because it almost
always involves a copyright violation or has other policy issues that
come into play well before it becomes an issue over pornography.  The
one exception was ordered to be deleted by Jimbo himself, and comes back
to the above issue because it involved a display of what could arguably
be child pornography.  That doesn't mean it won't be a problem in the
future, but at the moment nobody seems to be trying to push the envelope
here.

Where Wikibooks is having some real problems is with things like the
Manual of Crime, How to Rape, AIM Password Cracking, or a currently
contentious book on the use of illegal drugs called Drugs: Fact and
Fiction.  There was one book that even advocated genocide, but that was
defeated by a VfD.  The point I was trying to bring up is that these
books should not have to go before the Wikibooks community if there is a
clear policy that is strongly against this sort of practice.  As Jimbo
pointed out in an earlier discussion, many of these books should simply
be removed through a speedy deletion process with perhaps a concurring
opinion by another user (i.e. administrator) before it goes.

My question to the Wikimedia community at large is to see how you have
dealt with content of this nature, or if this is something that is
restricted mainly to Wikibooks?  I've tried to use NPOV arguments to
help temper some of the content, but many times it is simply better to
remove the content entirely as the entire book is advocacy of this sort
of activity, or to leave it in place with an obvious bias.  Sometimes
the book is added by an anonymous contributor over a few days and then
is a dead project, but in a few cases there are some very active
contributors who are very passionate that the content and fight tooth
and nail to keep the content in its current form and on Wikibooks, with
even a community of contributors that are involved as well.  With enough
other problems on Wikibooks, administrators have a tendancy to simply
leave content like this alone under this situation and perhaps add it to
their watch list as something to take care of in the future.

One proposal was to simply "wall off" the mature content in such a way
that no links would go into or out of the mature content area, and
become in effect a project within a project.  I don't know how to
effectively do this, but in theory it might be possible.  Policing that
content for vandalism is going to be a nightmare, and I can see other
problems as well including administrators openly encouraging vandalism
on this sub-set of pages.  The more I think about it, the more I dislike
the idea, but it at least is a partial solution to the issue.

--
Robert Scott Horning