[Foundation-l] Wikinews is now CC-BY

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 00:51:59 UTC 2005

On 9/25/05, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Any edits made previously remain public domain - it is only new edits
> > that will need to be under this Creative Commons License.
>
> you meant in fact "remain public domain or the other licence which
> each project had chosen", I suppose.

Yes, that is what I meant. Edits remain whatever they originally were
(often PD, but I realise this wasn't the case for some wikis). If any
text was licensed under something not compatible with CC-BY, it might
be best to protect those pages and note on them that they were
licensed under <whatever>.

> One technical question: can "CC-By-2.1-(a certain country) or later"
> switch to merely "CC-By-2.5" or "CC-By-2.5-(another certain country)?

I don't know enough about the iCommons licenses to know whether that
switch is permitted.

Angela