[Foundation-l] Wikinews is now CC-BY

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 23:37:38 UTC 2005

Hooray ;-)
Thank you for your notice on our [[ja:n:WN:RL|Izakaya]], Angela

I would like you to make it sure on one issue; that is

On 9/25/05, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License was the most supported
> license in the recent poll at
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Licensure_Poll>.
>
> With over 87% support from Wikinewsies in the poll, and 82% support
> overall, CC-BY has now been agreed upon by the Wikimedia Foundation to
> be the new license for all existing and future versions of Wikinews.
> Any edits made previously remain public domain - it is only new edits
> that will need to be under this Creative Commons License.

you meant in fact "remain public domain or the other licence which
each project had chosen", I suppose. Or not. It is our serious concern
because Japanese Wikinews had chosen Cc-By-2.1-Jp, so somehow the
switch would go smoothly there, but because of difference of
jurisdiction and available version (2.1-JP is the latest version
currently; 2.5-JP availability is uncertain - or not; I don't know who
knows it... eh, hum).

One technical question: can "CC-By-2.1-(a certain country) or later"
switch to merely "CC-By-2.5" or "CC-By-2.5-(another certain country)?

And of course, three language versions of Wikinews had chosen GFDL.
They would like to make a similar question.

--
Aphaea@*.wikipedia.org
email: Aphaia @ gmail (dot) com