[Foundation-l] To write a encyclopedia or to host a encyclopedia

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Tue Oct 25 22:43:10 UTC 2005

The core mission of Wikipedia is so far I know to write a free
encyclopaedia.

The number of visitors to Wikipedia is exploding. Are all of these
people writing articles? That seems not likely. I do not know how many
of all traffic is done by editors but I assume it must be relative small
compared to the total traffic.

So Wikipedia now is not only a project to write a encyclopaedia but also
a website where people come to read the encyclopaedia.

Why? Is it so important to be one of the most visited websites in the
world? (and have to pay for it)

Outsource the reading of the encyclopaedia. Keep Wikipedia out of the
results of the search engines. Reduce drastically the traffic to
Wikipedia. Keep Wikipedia only as the project to write the encyclopaedia.

Assist company's to set-up mirrors and sync whit the real wikipedia.
Those mirrors can be the entry points to the real wikipedia for users
who like to edit.

This way the cost of operating wikipedia can be reused. Wikipedia.org
will disappear from the alexa stats. And Wikipedia can focus on writing
a free encyclopaedia. The result of this can be a slowing down of the
grow of the encyclopedia. But Wikipedia is now +/- 5 years old. There is
time. Better a slower growed then a exposing and then failier because of
to fast growed.

--
Ook een artikeltje schrijven? WikipediaNL, de vrije GNU/FDL encyclopedie
http://www.wikipedia.be