[Foundation-l] Answers.com stuff

Poe, Marshall MPoe at theatlantic.com
Mon Oct 24 22:17:04 UTC 2005

Danny wrote:

"We don't want ad sense or Google ads."

Gosh, I don't know why we wouldn't *try* such a program.  The benefits
seem huge, the pitfalls few, and if we don't like it we could just cut
it off after the trial period (we'd vote!).  A test would scale up
nicely: first you allow the ads on the front page,  then if that worked
alright some other pages, and if that looked good, you'd open up more.
Moreover, since we're big and have leverage, we could limit the *kinds*
of ads AdSense placed to those consistent with our goals (e.g., no porn,
no x, no y, no z--damned if I know). Another idea: we could use AdSense
in focused, time-limited "campaigns," like a pledge drive on NPR.  We
assess our needs, state a fund raising goal, tell AdSense to serve the
ads until the goal is reached.  After that, the ads come down until we
need more money. I imagine that just the prospect of long AdSense
"campaigns" would drive contributions from users.  "You tired of those
ads? We are too. So donate to Wikipedia and shorten the campaign."

Best, MP

Marshall Poe, Ph.D.
The Atlantic Monthly
600 New Hampshire Ave. NW