[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Oct 23 22:37:57 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Bigger and more corporate?  Can you please define exactly what you mean
>by that?
>
>If you say "I don't really want us to get involved in projects to try to
>expand our work into helping less developed countries.  Merely running
>the website is enough, let the poor people fend for themselves" then
>fine, I think that's a perfectly acceptable position.

I mean: "increasingly involved in partnerships with for-profit
corporations, for the sole purpose of financial gain".

I also think getting involved in such projects is a bad idea, but that's
a separate matter.  Also, you're putting words in my mouth with the
second sentence---I think there should be an organization trying to
bring Wikipedia to less developed countries, but it should be separate,
organizationally and monetarily, from the project of producing the
encyclopedia in the first place (although the two should certainly
coordinate and discuss mutual needs).  It's the organizational analog of
the "Unix way"---multiple small, efficient organizations each doing one
thing well, rather than one big monolithic organization doing a lot of
things poorly.

-Mark