[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Oct 23 14:41:04 UTC 2005

Delirium wrote:
> What in the world sort of servers are we buying that cost a few million
> dollars?  Who is "we" who would like to fund these special projects?

We are mostly buying commodity dual opterons these days.  Our hardware
budget for the 4th quarter of this year, increased by a reasonable set
of expectations for traffic growth, would put our budget for hardware
alone to be between $1-$2 million next year.

> Not all of us are onboard with the "Wikipedia: the bigger and more
> corporate the better" strategy.

Bigger and more corporate?  Can you please define exactly what you mean
by that?

If you say "I don't really want us to get involved in projects to try to
expand our work into helping less developed countries.  Merely running
the website is enough, let the poor people fend for themselves" then
fine, I think that's a perfectly acceptable position.

But don't try to spin that anti-growth position as being somehow
"anti-corporate".

--Jimbo