[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 10:07:09 UTC 2005

> It means it should be featured prominently.  It's a Wikipedia namespace
> page, the tools page, so we don't have to be NPOV

We don't? Oh. Someone tell the editors:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Miscellaneous_deletion/Wikipedia:Current_charitable_causes

> but of course
> Answers.com understands the community well enough to know that the page
> is community-built and that other tools will be on the page as well.

As far as I can see (and correct me if I'm wrong), there are no
adverts for commercial products on that page at the moment (let's call
the spade a spade). I was generally under the impression WP would
never carry adverts.

> It's pretty much non-fishy.
>
> I think that not only should the revenue relationship be disclosed on
> the page, it should be prominently highlighted as a _feature_.  You can
> use the Answers.com 1-Click tool, if you like, and if you do, it brings
> in revenue to support Wikipedia.  (Though at the present time, we do not
> have any real clue how much revenue this might be... it depends on how
> many people download and use the tool.)

There must be some ball-park figures - eg if 1,000 people download it
and use it as much as existing 1-Click users, Wikimedia will get $x...

Dan