[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Oct 22 09:47:34 UTC 2005

Dori wrote:
> I'd like to apologize as I thought it'd be placed in the side bar.
> While still smelling fishy, at least it's not getting as much
> exposure. I'd still like to know what is meant by "charter placement"
> as any placement constraint would be at the very least very anti-wiki.

It means it should be featured prominently.  It's a Wikipedia namespace
page, the tools page, so we don't have to be NPOV, but of course
Answers.com understands the community well enough to know that the page
is community-built and that other tools will be on the page as well.
It's pretty much non-fishy.

I think that not only should the revenue relationship be disclosed on
the page, it should be prominently highlighted as a _feature_.  You can
use the Answers.com 1-Click tool, if you like, and if you do, it brings
in revenue to support Wikipedia.  (Though at the present time, we do not
have any real clue how much revenue this might be... it depends on how
many people download and use the tool.)

--Jimbo